The Pocono Dad Project
Helping Dads Become Better Dads
Welcome to the Pocono Dad Project. The purpose of the Pocono Dad Project is to engage with dads across the Poconos and encourage them to be the best dads they can be for their children. In addition to encouragement, we will share research, resources, teach the 24/7 Dad® AM curriculum and provide a community for Pocono Dads.
We invite you to learn more about the Pocono Dad Project and join other dads on their journey to be a better dad every day.
According to the U.S. Census Bureau (2017), 19.7 million children or more than 1 in 4, live without a father in their home. Consequently, there is a "father factor" in nearly all of the societal ills facing America today. Research shows when a child is raised in a father-absent home, he or she is affected in the following ways:
* Poverty: 4x greater poverty rate
* Teen Pregnancy: 7x more likely to become pregnant as a teen
* Behavioral Problems: More likely to have behavioral problems
* Child Abuse: More likely to face abuse and neglect
* Mom-child Health: 2x risk of infant mortality
* Substance Abuse: More likely to abuse drugs and alcohol
* Incarceration: More likely to go to prison
* Childhood Obesity: 2x more likely to suffer obesity
* Crime: More likely to commit crime
* Education: 2x more likely to drop out of high school
The 24/7 Dad® Am Program Developed By The National Fatherhood Initiative
24/7 Dad® AM is an evidence-based fatherhood skill-building program. Diverse organizations across the nation use the program to improve the knowledge, behavior, and skills of dads of all races, religions, and demographics. The program is built on the basis that fathers can be nurturers, and for men, nurturing can be a learned skill. Throughout the program, men examine their own fatherhood history, learn the 5 characteristics of a 24/7 Dad®, and other important behaviors. Several topics will be covered in both the 5 week intro and 12 week programs: Family History, What it means to be a Man, Showing and Handling Feelings, Men’s Health, Communication, The Father’s Role, Discipline, Children’s Growth, Getting involved with your Child(ren), Working with Mom and Co-Parenting, Dads and Work, My 24/7 Dad® Checklist.
Please visit http://www.poconodadproject.com/ for more information, or to register for the program.